Monday 7 October 2013

The Boys

The first couple of weeks of the new dogs have been about getting to know them and trying to get them acclimatised to a new environment and routine.
One of the most extraordinary things we have noticed is that these dogs appear to have read the book on dog behaviour because they appear to do what is described.  They sleep, they walk, they go back in their beds for more sleep, they walk then they sleep again.

In the morning I come down in my dressing gown (ignoring them to keep my pack leader role) they do not move.  They have completely respected my 14 yr old dog and left her alone.  They even tolerate her telling them off and vacate their own bed for her if she tells them to.  She in turn, whilst appearing initially subdued and slightly miffed, has come round and seems quite comfortable.  She even seems more motivated to eat her own breakfast over which she had become rather picky!

It is also interesting to see two dogs who are from the same litter of two different breeds Weimaraner, Springer both of whom demonstrate more of one  type of characteristics.

Bruno is 90% Weimaraner in looks and behaviour in the first few days he has established himself as the definite leader of Max to the point of actually sitting on him at times.Amazingly Max appears willing to tolerate this despite the huge bulk of his brother.  As we said, 43kg or close to this at the last count.

Bruno has shown himself to be a challenging boy, in the first few days I observed him always making for the back door first and going in first after his morning toilet.  I soon realised this was his attempt at a subtle coup and that he was busy sizing me up to see what I was going to do about it!  I began by observing and then started to make life in the garden so much fun for the others that Bruno was soon out of the house again to see what he might be missing out on, upon which I quickly marched in before him.

I have also noticed that they seem to have had some initial training and can sit, lie down, go in their bed wait and all the usual commands.  They do respond well to body blocking and maintaining distance from the kitchen when we are preparing food.

However when out on the walk it is a different matter, Max is as my dog walker described 'away with the fairies', like a hyperactive child on hallucinogenic substances he glazes over and follows his nose rather than being aware of you or any kind of instruction.  I have joked that once in the fields if I purchased a pair of grass skis he would have me round the whole circuit in less than 5 minutes.  I am using a head collar to keep him under some control but he seems to have worked out if he turns his head a certain way he can make the collar less effective and pull me along.  Clever dog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment